Final day of construction and boy was it hot. It was a fun day but sad because everything is winding down. It has been fun to see all the work we have been doing (moving bricks, cement, and dirt) come together into the different structures. We have been working on five different toilets and a large community center - we just do whatever Mr. Boss/Foreman Victor says. We have done a lot as a volunteer group. With the rotations we work about every four days and the Indian workers make so much progress while we are away.

We spent some of the morning at the Bindu Art school because it would be our last chance to view the art. After our stop there we really got to work moving cement and singing. Our volunteer coordinator Jennie Doezie has split the groups - Scorpion, Shakti, Cobra. I am proud to be a scorpion. The challenge this week is to prepare a song/cheer for our competition tomorrow night - our song is amazing. Thanks Andrea and Courtney. We definitely sang as we worked the other teams better watch out. While we moved cement there was a commotion and screaming among the village women - turns out there was a snake in the house.

After playing with the snake we got back to work moving more cement. As I was walking down the road to the toilet location I noticed two women playing a game. I went over and talked to them through my smiles and gestures - the language barrier is very frustrating. I watched them play for a few minutes and it totally reminded my of Parcheesi.
Afternoon on campus was normal - break was cut short by a trip to the junction. Most of the volunteers were busy with their talent classes during playtime sadly I seemed to miss it all today. I got caught up in a conversation with a few of the coordinators and volunteers so we didn't make it to play time. Dinner was fun it was smaller tonight because the Hendershot's - assistant managers on campus - didn't bring there family to dinner. It was actually really fun to only have the volunteers at dinner I enjoyed the small group. Bedtime at the hostel was emotional for me tonight - I know it is time to come home but it will be hard to leave. Rising Star is an amazing place there is a wonderful spirit and mentality on this campus. The work Rising Star is doing will help to change India they are teaching the future leaders, doctors, and military of India. These children will change the world or fall into a hole they dig themselves Rising Star has given them the opportunity they just have to take it.

This is Veeran he is a crazy ball of energy with the best attitude around. When I first met Veeran I saw his personality as a total gangster/punk - he wears the best low ride jeans. After spending quite a bit of time with him his personality is nothing like what I first saw in him. Veeran is sweet, sensitive and totally awesome I have loved getting to know him. Lately I have thought a lot about sponsoring him through school so we can keep the connection.
No comments:
Post a Comment