Monday, July 19, 2010

Days Turn to Weeks

Today wore me out and I am going to feel it tomorrow. Started with an early run and workout before the day even really began. I was able to talk to my parents this morning which totally made my day. Then it was off to Bharathapuram for another day of construction work - today really was work, hard work. We moved crazy amounts of cinder blocks for the foundations of different squatters around the colony. Not only were they extremely heavy but we had to carry them super far.
It was a hard working day. I was so tired during break I just wanted to sleep instead we had a little excitement around campus. As our volunteer coordinator Jenny Dosey was walking along Rising Star's Pathway of Hope to the volunteer hostel she saw a snake. The snake went into a pipe under the pathway and the security guard needed to get it out. The guard lit a pipe on fire and stuck it into the other end of the pipe to get the snake out. The snake came out and it turned out to be a cobra about 2 1/2 feet long. It was crazy all the guards and Steele Hendershot starting hitting it with sticks to kill it. Definitely a highlight of the afternoon and super exciting to see a cobra. Dinner was unusual also because the normal location on the roof wouldn't work when it started to down pour right as dinner started. Instead all the children ran inside for pray while the volunteers headed back to the volunteer block. It has been three nights since we had dinner on the roof and I have missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment